Sunday, March 21, 2010

Yet another Ah So moment

I know, most people say they had an "ah ha" moment. I say "ah so". I adopted it from my grandfather.

This past week at my son's I heard he had issues tying knots. Really one knot in particular. The ever pain of a clove hitch. When I was a Scout, I struggled with this knot forever. I had many of an argument with my father about that stupid knot.

So today, my son and I sat down to work on his knot tying skills. He did a square knot perfectly. Half hitch. Double half hitch. Taut line. I made him do them over and over again. He knows them perfectly now. Then it was time. I told him that I would try it first. I had reviewed my knot guide before we went outside to work on his knots. On the first try, nailed it. I did the twist test, one that my father had done when I was a Scout and I think my whole body smiled. I showed him again how it was done. I let him struggle with it a few times. And he did. Oh how I felt like I was a child again. And then it happened. He did it perfectly. I had him practice it a few more times, without me looking over his shoulder. Then I had him show his mother, and just as he had shown me, he did it perfectly.

Today was just one tiny victory for him, but they will all add up and I am so proud of him. He was so happy to have done it as well. I told him that we would practice them again later in the week. But I have all the faith that he will be able to do it over and over again.

Eagle Scout Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment