Friday, May 3, 2013

Frustrated Dad

So tonight I dropped off my son to his Jamboree Troop's first shakedown. He's excited about going to the Jamboree, as I was when I went to the 75th back in '85. But I'm very concerned with this council's leadership and their ability to make it a good adventure for these kids. I've asked questions to the Scoutmaster and Committee Chairman, and I've gotten flippant answers. Basically their attitude is, that it is none of my business. So I've let it go. Until today. This morning there was an email sent out with an official packing list, release form and menu. I was happy to see that they actually did something! Until I started to actually look at it. A month ago, they asked for the medical forms to be turned in, and they were. But yet, on the packing list for this weekend was medical forms. They aren't going swimming this weekend, but yet swim suit was on the packing list. And the part that got me going even more was that they said they needed to have 5 sets of clothes, towels, shower stuff...WTH! For 2 days?? Listen, I have no problem with "borrowing" other scouting programs ideas. Copy, paste, BUT EDIT! The sad part is that I actually think that this particular Assistant Scoutmaster took it upon themselves to do this, and screwed it up too. Why do I feel like this is how things are going to go for our boys at the Jamboree? As I'm dropping my son off, I run into the Field Director for our Council. I've known him for years and he knows me well. He could tell I wasn't very happy. As soon as I started to unload on him, he pulled the typical Scout Professional, "that's the guy you need to talk to". For once in this guys life, it actually was the guy I needed to talk to. I bent his ear for a good 30 minutes and he seemed to agree with everything I was saying. But if you agree with it, why has it taken you until 2 days ago to do something about it? I'm not some independantly wealthy guy, and neither are any of the kids' families that are going and the $1200 that our council charged us is a ton of money (although I know that people paid a lot more if you're further away). Make this a big deal. Whether these leaders know it or not, this is a big deal and they should be conveying that to the Scouts. I'm going to try and behave myself for now, and hope that this weekend is the turning point for the Jamboree Troop. If not, they are going to have one vocal and upset EagleScoutDoug on their hands. I typically call my dad when I feel that my council can't seem to get anything right. The bad part is that he agrees with me. I guess the only saving grace is knowing that the big powers that be in BSA know that this is a weak council and the leadership is terrible (from a paid professional standpoint). I know that BSA is testing the merging of councils within states. Let's hope they do it to this one. Our resources would grow by 100% if it happened. Or at least someone do something about how crappy this council is. I hate talking bad about Boy Scouts. I'm greatful for everything it has done for me throughout my life. I love it! Thanks for letting me rant. I promise, I'll get back to this again and let you know how our NEW TROOP is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment